13. Von Mühle zu Mühle im Baybachtal Wollmühle
The woolen mill or Krischersmühle The woolen mill, which now follows the Sunday mill, used to be called Krischersmühle and was a grain grinding mill. But it did not last long, already in 1850 it is mentioned in old files as "deserted". But then, towards the end of the 19th century, new life awoke at the site. A resourceful businessman by the name of F. W. Bäumer set up a water-powered wool spinning mill at the former mill. At that time, flax cultivation and sheep breeding were widespread in the Hunsrück region. During the long winter evenings, the spinning wheels on which the wool and yarn threads were spun whirred in many houses. At first this was only for making one's own clothes, but at some point it was discovered that there was good money to be made from the yarn. A commercial yarn trade developed in the villages of the Vorderhunsrück. Numerous men and women roamed the German countryside with their "Kiepen" on their backs, earning good money by selling wool and yarn. Schulrat Josef Klein reports in his little book about the living conditions in the front Hunsrück that in 1906 400, 150 and 95 persons respectively from the burgher-masteries of Pfalzfeld, Obergondershausen and Halsenbach went on the wool trade. The owner of the wool mill took advantage of the increasing demand for wool. He built a small factory hall on the Baybach, where he set up spinning machines that were driven by a water wheel. Thus, industry had reached the quiet Baybach valley. In 1909, the spinning mill passed from the owner Bäumer to the merchant Walter Werner Erich Müller from Kastellaun. But the economic boom in the wool mill did not last long. At the beginning of the 20th century, flax cultivation and also sheep farming declined. And when the Hunsrück region was also supplied with electricity, the water-driven plants had had their day. Thus, the wool mill also had to cease its operation. The buildings fell into disrepair and a nature lover built a weekend house on the foundation walls. Below the wool mill we notice some cave entrances, which are secured with an iron grate. These are former ore mines, of which there are still quite a few in the valley. Today, the caves are mainly inhabited by bats. In the 19th century, people searched everywhere in the Hunsrück for ore rock. Here and there, they also found lead, zinc and silver deposits worth mining, but in general the yield was meager, so that the mines were soon abandoned.